If your like me and 95% of the world, you probably were not born knowing what your purpose was in life. Much less, how to make money off of it. DON’T PANIC! Your not alone! Equally as many people have no freakin clue where to start to find out what their purpose is.
What’s interesting is that everyday there’s social media posts, blogs, news features dedicated to people who have made that entrepreneurial leap to do what they love for work. Kind of lays on the pressure doesn’t it? Like the universe is screaming at you “Look! Look! They did it! What are you waiting for?!” Every time I would see a motivational post with #livethelifeyoulove I wanted to scream “I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE F@&K I wanna do so back the F$&K OFF!!” Haha.
What the attention should really be on is the HOW. How do you get to a place where you are able to life a life of purpose? One that is not only personally fulfilling but gives you the financial freedom you want. How do you get to a place where you wake up everyday excited and eager to share what you have with everyone you come into contact with?!! Like you visibly are radiating some sort of weird beaming light from your entire body that people can’t help but notice! They can literally see it and feel it that you have something they want to be a part of!
For the longest time, I would go to after work mixers and meet ups and meet people who were early in their game. Maybe they had a business card maybe not. Some had years of experience others hadn’t even opened up a WordPress. But they all had one common trait. They all had that energy that I just talked about. That radiating contagious energy that you could feel a mile away. And I found myself envying them. Even the ones who were just starting. Because even though the newbies were just starting with very low or no return on investment, they all knew and had a clear understanding of what they wanted to do and owned it!
In case your like me and have absolutely no freaking clue on where to start here’s a few starting points that helped me.
1. Forget what others think, say, or tell you as well as any assumptions you have about what others think, say, and/or tell you. It’s not their life, it’s YOURS. This first step is very important because you have to be willing to let go of any fears of disappointment or criticism aside in order to let your creative mind truly flow.
2.Write out on a piece of paper what your picture perfect day would look like if you were a. Getting paid for just breathing and b. Could not fail at anything. I suggest keeping a journal to do this and rewriting your vision a few times. Maybe once a week for a solid month.
This will help you get your creative juices flowing and help you see trends and reoccurring themes in your visions. Get as detailed as possible in them and really dedicate at least 30min to an hour to get some good creative, limitless, beautiful writing down. Trust me the first time is always the hardest because your mind is still holding on to the confines of your current reality. But it’s ok it will get easier.
3. Take those visions you wrote out and read over them 2/3 weeks in. What patterns do you notice? Are you seeing yourself in a specific location consistently? What kinds of actions are you doing? Are you always helping someone with a specific service or product? Do you notice if your getting excited just from reading over a specific part? Highlight that part. Positive physical responses from you just reading it are a huge sign that something about that touches and resonates with you. Have someone else read your visions and see if they see patterns that maybe you missed. Notice if you get excited on any specific parts you share with them.
4. Once you have dissected exactly what your perfect kind of day looks like, you now need figure out how it will make you money. And people will only give you money if they believe they are benefiting from it in some way in exchange for the money. This can be very direct like giving someone an amazing product in exchange for money. Or you could create a YouTube channel that people subscribe to see motivational and helpful tips on how to reach their weight loss goal. It can be creating a non profit where people contribute money to the cause in exchange for the satisfaction of knowing they have contributed to something greater and that they believe in. In which case you, are receiving money and resources from other entities like the government and private donors so you can run your business.
5. Research! Look online for other possible examples of people who have similar businesses that mimic what you desire to create. See where they got their start. Are there any books or other literary resources they refer or recommend? The wonders of Google can be a HUGE help at this stage in the process. Simply enter in “What does it take to be a…” and a whole bunch of resources will pop up to get your creative juices flowing. A quick trip to the local book store can also be of help. I have had the fortune of finding many helpful books on marketing and social media influence that have helped me in many ways.
6. MASTERMIND! Find a group of confidants that you can bounce ideas off of. It doesn’t have to be big but I suggest at least 2. These should be people you already feel comfortable sharing things with and the more diversity, I feel, the better. These are the people you should feel confident sharing your newly sprouted idea with and who you know will not try to rob you of it. Most likely these will be close friends or former work colleagues. Family members are some times not the best to mastermind with since they maybe overly concerned with not wanting to see you fail. You want your members to be a healthy balance between realists and cheerleaders if that makes sense. They should be able to provide you with honest feedback and unbiased critique yet be understanding to your view and vision. In other words, they should want you to succeed. Take notes on their feedback, even if you disagree. Invite them to bring their own original ideas to share as well. I suggest having these meetings at least 1-2 times a month. Before leaving the meeting share with them one thing you would like to complete before your next meeting, that will help you get closer to making your purpose a reality. This will help you hold yourself accountable on the next step listed.
7. TAKE ACTION! Now that you have shared your purpose with your group, it’s time to take the feedback and take action! Your first step can be as simple as assigning daily, weekly, and/or monthly goals to your planner on what you need to do next. Or researching what initial expenses will be needed to get your idea get off the ground. Perhaps reaching out to certain people or organizations to form partnerships. Whatever that first step may be, as Nike says, JUST DO IT!
8. Keep the momentum going! You will see that while step 7. will take up the bulk of your days. Step 6. and 5. are just as important for keeping your furnace fueled. Keep meeting with your group and be open to letting others take part so long as they meet the criteria mentioned earlier. Constantly seek new information relative to your idea and purpose. You never know what can turn into a valuable resource.
As a realist, more than anything there is one thing I should make clear which may not seem like the appropriate thing to say at this point but here we go anyways… You Will Fail. Haha Let me explain.
You should from the very beginning learn to accept this fact. That at some point during the process, most likely MANY points during the process, you will fail. And that’s great! It’s great because it will only help you adapt and adjust and evolve that much better! You will learn what you need and what you don’t and what matters and what doesn’t. You will attain your goal of living your purpose. So just as much as you embrace the other parts of the process accept the fact now, and save yourself the heartbreak, that the failure is just as beautiful as the rest.
But trust me, if a guy decided his life’s purpose was to create Sharknado (AND it sequels), and succeeded at it, I’m sure you will do just fine. ;D